Webfabrics was born on August 1, 2003 in the basement of the house of its owner, Carly Mul. Carly had been making fabric covered boxes that she sold at craft shows all over the country and customers were asking if they could get some of the fabrics she was using.
Right from the beginning there was a strong focus on basics and blenders as Carly needed every color herself for the boxes. Those were the early days of fabric buying on the internet and customers were looking for a place that had all possible colors in their favorite lines. The business started with 160 colors Moda Marbles. Once the house became too small, Carly opened a “showroom” to have more room for her fabrics. It still was only an online site. Business was growing and customers expressed an interest in being able to come to the showroom not only for picking up, but also for selecting the fabrics. The shop was born and over the next 16 years it grew into one of the largest and busiest quilt shops on the East Coast. The website was also thriving, Carly attended and exhibited at all major quilt shows with her Webfabrics’ team, and the result became really three solid businesses in one.
After the birth of her first grandchild, Carly discovered that she really wanted to have more time for other things than the three business pillars (Internet, Brick & Mortar and Quilt shows) allowed her, so the decision was made to close the shop and return the website to its origin, i.e. a 100% on-line business.
This is what makes Webfabrics such a unique place:
1. We carry complete lines in basics and blenders. Every now and then another collection may come in as well, but the focus is truly on basics. The more colors a collection has, the more we love it!
2. The biggest lines (Moda Grunge, Hoffman 1895 batiks, Michael Miller Fairy Frost, Michael Muller Cotton Couture and P&B Suede) all have lots of colors. We put a sticker with the name and/or number on the fabric, so that you have a nice reference.
3. You can buy individual fat quarters in the basics. Where cutting full width strips of fabric starts with .5 yard, you can order individual fat quarters of all basics. Those too will be labeled, making it possible to really audition a fabric before committing to yardage.
4. We have lots of bundles. Bundles of complete collections, partial collection, color bundles, random or in order.
5. You can pick our brains for color consulting. Ask a question, send us swatches and we will suggest colors that can make your project shine. We make custom kits!
6. We keep the prices for the fabrics reasonable and are always negotiating with out supplies for deals to pass on to you.
7. We are known for shipping orders fast. If we are not able to send your order right away, we will notify you.
8. We don’t work with back orders. If an item isn’t in stock to fulfill the order, we will let you know. Of course, we can let you know when it is back in again, but we do understand that you may have found it elsewhere and just want to sew.
9. Carly has returned making some boxes. Boxes are available online but can also be ordered by special request.
Carly is getting help from Kerry and Cathy. Kerry is the shipping manager and she will probably be your first contact. Kerry has been with Webfabrics for many years and knows the fabrics very well. She is excited helping you. Cathy is helping with cutting orders and is a sub for Kerry, whenever she is a day off. Together we make a great team!